Join us and work as part of a busy, fun team - where challenge, variety and personal development is all part of the package.
Balmoral Group was established in 1980 and is a privately owned company headquartered in Aberdeen, Scotland. Employing over 400 people and operating from a modern custom-built complex, the company’s products are used around the world.
We are seeking an HSE Advisor for our Barnsley office who will thrive in our dynamic environment.
Working with the HSE Manager, the HSE Advisor is responsible for assisting in the development, implementation, maintenance and enhancement of health, safety and environmental (HSE) management systems, including occupational hygiene controls and standards, across the Company. The HSE Advisor is also responsible for reviewing the effectiveness and efficiency of HSE management systems in place, conducting assessments of current measures and reporting shortfalls and practical solutions to department managers. The position will also be responsible for assisting in the organisation and/or provision of HSE training to Balmoral personnel.
- Interact and collaborate with departmental managers, supervisors and other staff to provide guidance and direction.
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of the Company’s HSE policies.
- Proper and timely assessment of risks to HSE and implementation of practical solutions identified as necessary from the assessments.
- Provision of emergency procedures, first-aid facilities, safety signs, relevant protective clothing and equipment to the relevant management/supervisory staff.
- Provide guidance to departmental managers on responding to workplace HSE complaints and help with accident investigations with the view to the elimination of the root cause(s).
- Surveillance and reporting on HSE management systems issues and recommendations for enhancements or changes to existing systems.
- Assist in the organisation and/or provision of HSE training to all Balmoral personnel.
- Develop professional working relationships with colleagues and team members.
- Establish and maintain open lines of communication within the team to ensure objectives are met.
- The role will entail site visits nation wide and could include over night stays.
- The jobholder is responsible for developing the Company’s image in the marketplace by pursuing the objectives of RATER:
R Reliability (keeping Company promises –dates, prices, workmanship)
A Authority (knowledge, expertise providing comfort and security to customers)
T Tangibles (appearance of employees, contractors, vehicles, equipment, packaging, behaviour)
E Empathy (understanding of customer’s needs and problems)
R Responsiveness (willingness to help the customer)
- To maintain databases and other records of key HSE activities e.g. auditing, risk assessments, accident/incident reporting, access database on health and safety etc.
- To carry out health, safety and environmental audits on sites and within Balmoral factories (Barnsley & Llantrisant).
- To undertake HSE data monitoring and analysis.
- To manage HSE enquiries, taking appropriate action with a timely response and escalation where necessary.
- To take a lead role in the incident and accident system, by reviewing incidents and escalating as appropriate. Ensuring that incidents logged are complete and followed up where necessary
- In liaison with learning and development colleagues, to deliver the HSE training programme and training events, training materials etc.
- To provide support and advice on all matters of HSE.
- To assist with HSE promotion as required.
- Liaising with clients health and safety personnel during site visits / audits.
- To assist in the management of HSE workplace inspection programme.
- To support the role and function of the HSE committee, preparing papers and taking minutes.
Working with Balmoral Group you will have the opportunity to work in a fast-paced environment that is varied and challenging - with limitless potential for career progression.
- NEBOSH General/ Construction Certificate
- Excellent Computer skills (including working knowledge of Excel & Word)
- Good general education with a good standard of numeracy and literacy.
- Environmental Certification
- Working at height awareness
- Confined space trained
- Ability to prepare and analyse data, both numerical and graphical.
- Positive attitude towards change.
- The ability to handle tight deadlines in a calm manner
- Experienced within the construction / fabrication industry
- Preparing / reviewing risk assessments & method statement (RAMS) including COSHH assessments
- At least 2 years’ experience in a similar role as a minimum.
- Full UK driving licence required with at least 2 years experience.
- Ability to work across departments & achieve positive results.
- Excellent inter-personal skills.
- First class planning & organisational skills.
- Good presentation, written and oral communication skills.
- Good communicational skills at all levels.
- Good people skills.
- IT skills.
- Mature and customer focused attitude (able to handle difficult discussions and customer complaints regarding HSE).
- A belief in the fact that customers are revenue & everything else is overhead.
- Able to perform in an environment where accountability and ownership represent Core Values.
- Excited by change and driven to be part of a successful team.
- Belief in all aspects of RATER and the positive impact on a business.
- Willing to challenge colleagues whose behaviour is contradictory to all aspects of RATER, and ultimately the core values of the business.
Overall, we employ people who are flexible, methodical and effective team players. Everyone must commit to learning and be willing to thrive in a “Right First Time” culture. Your personal values must align with the Core Values (below) of the Business, and you must never treat any customer (internal and or external) with complacency.
Motivation, Customer Focus, Respect, Innovation, Accountability, Integrity.